It’s that time of year – the tomatoes are gorgeous and I have more basil growing in my backyard than I know what to do with! This tart is the solution to my dilemma, and is perfect when paired with grilled chicken or fish.
- 2 1/4 cups of coarse, fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 pounds of thinly sliced tomatoes (I used very large Jersey tomatoes)
- salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450º.
2. Toss the breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon of basil and olive oil in a 9 inch springform pan (foil pans work too) pressing evenly into the bottom.
3. In a bowl, whisk the ricotta, eggs, and remaining 2 tablespoons of basil until combined. Season with salt and pepper and spread over the crust.
4. Top with the sliced tomatoes, and brush them with olive oil.
5. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, let cool, and unmold. Serve warm. Can be made ahead of time and reheated in the microwave. Serves 4.
(Adapted from a recipe by Martha Stewart.)