I’m running a couple of cookie recipes this week, as I’m stockpiling dough in my freezer to bake later. This one came from Saveur – it’s a cookie similar to the ones they sell in the Italian bakeries in my neighborhood – but better! When I initially read through the recipe I had the feeling it was going to be good when I saw that it had double the amount of vanilla extract most cookie recipes call for, and grated lemon zest. The end result is a not too sweet cookie that’s soft, with an amazing flavor. Seriously, who doesn’t love sprinkles?
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup multi-colored sprinkles
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt – set aside.
2. In a large bowl beat butter and sugar together with an electric mixer for a few minutes until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, egg, and lemon zest, mix well. Then add the flour mixture, and beat until just combined.
3. Shape dough into 1″ balls, placing them 2″ inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Lightly flour the bottom of a glass and flatten each ball into a disk. Chill the cookies in the fridge for 30 minutes or in the freezer for 10.
4. Heat oven to 375º. Pour sprinkles in a bowl. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the tops of the cookies with egg white wash and press into sprinkles. Place cookies back on baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes until the bottoms are lightly browned. Cool on a rack. Makes 3 dozen.