Looking South – Train Shed

This area of Broad and Washington is in the throes of being developed into apartments and retail space. Fortunately, this train shed which served as a stop for President Lincoln’s funeral train en route to Illinois, is on the National Register of Historic Places and will be saved. The location had train service since 1836, and the structure was built by the Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore Railroad in 1878. Additional photos behind the cut. 

Interior of the Train Shed

 

 

This entry was posted in Looking South, News, Philadelphia, Photography and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply