It’s peach season, and this easy, single crust tart is the perfect way to showcase these beauties! Even easier, is a method of dropping ripe peaches in boiling water for a few seconds, then to an ice bath, and their skins slip off – no knife needed! It really makes quick work of putting this tart together – but be warned, naked peaches are slippery!
For the crust:
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, cold and cut up into 8 pieces
- 1/4 cup ice water
1. In the bowl of a food processor combine flour, salt, and butter, pulse until mixture looks like course crumbs. Add ice water slowly, pulsing until the mixture begins to clump. Place dough in a plastic bag, work to form a ball, flatten into a disk, and chill for an hour.
2. Place pie dough on a lightly floured work surface; roll into a 12-inch circle. Ease dough into a 9-inch tart pan. Turn edges under; press dough into the sides of the tart pan.
- 6 to 7 peaches, skinned and pitted
- half pint blueberries
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 425º. Simmer water in a sauce pan, drop a peach in the water for 30 seconds, remove with a slotted spoon and plunge into an ice bath. Pinch a bit of the skin to start, the rest of the skin should slip off easily. Repeat with the rest of the peaches, cut in half and remove pit, put peach halves in a large bowl.
- Add sugars, vanilla, and cornstarch to the bowl and gently toss.
- Arrange peaches in the tart pan, then toss the blueberries in the bowl, and add to the tart pan.
- Bake at 425º for 20 minutes, then turn down oven to 375º and bake for another 45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.