This is the perfect Sunday morning breakfast cake – not too sweet, and loaded with New Jersey blueberries. It’s a quick cake to throw together, and feeds a crowd of 8 to 10.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 375º, grease and flour an 8″ x 8″ baking dish.
- In a large bowl, cream the sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add the egg, followed by the milk, until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients, then fold in blueberries. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- For the topping, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter in a bowl, use a fork to cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over the batter and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, testing with a toothpick.