So Tuesday was my friend Dan’s birthday, and I know this because one of the Boy’s many talents is keeping track of everyone’s birthdays – friends, family, as well as celebrities.He’s been keeping us keenly aware that August 1st is the date of our friend’s birth, which means a fruit tart is in order!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, grapes, mango, raspberries, bananas, kiwi, mandarin oranges, peaches
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, butter and vegetable shortening. Pulse until crumbly, then add the ice water. Flatten dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350º, on a floured surface, roll out dough, and ease into a 9″ tart pan. Prick the bottom with a fork and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until pale gold. Let cool.
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each addition, until smooth. With a pastry brush, brush a thin layer of chocolate on the bottom of the crust. This helps to keep the crust from getting soggy. Refrigerate for 15 minutes until chocolate hardens.
- Place cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in the food processor, mix until smooth. Spread filling into tart shell, top with fruit. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.