We celebrated The Boy’s birthday with pulled pork sandwiches, coleslaw, Lay’s Wavy chips, and finished it off with a chocolate peanut butter mousse cake. Recipe behind the cut.
For the cake:
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- 1 – 5.9 oz. box of instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup warm water
For the peanut butter mousse:
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz. whipped topping, thawed (save the rest for topping the cake)
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- chocolate syrup
- honey roasted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease and flour 2 – 9″ round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, pudding mix, oil, eggs, sour cream, and water – beating until combined.
- Divide batter between the two pans, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, the invert cakes on to the wire rack to cool completely.
- For the mousse, cream the cream cheese and peanut butter until well combined, then beat in the confectioners sugar and whipped topping. Chill for an hour before frosting the cake.
- To assemble, place one of the cake layers on a plate. Spread half of the peanut butter mousse, and drizzle with the chocolate syrup. Place the second layer on top, cover with remaining mousse, spread whipped topping over mousse, drizzle with syrup, and garnish with honey roasted peanuts. Store leftovers in fridge.