This recipe originated with Marcella Hazan, I’ve been reading about it on various food blogs for years. All you need are three ingredients, a can of San Marzano tomatoes, an onion, and butter to make an amazing gravy. Simmer time is 45 minutes, so it’s relatively quick to put together. So good, and yet so simple!
- 28 oz. can San Marzano tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced in half
- Pour tomatoes and their juices into a medium sized sauce pan, add butter and onion.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then turn heat to low for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally, crushing the tomatoes on the side of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and discard the onion as you prepare your pasta.