Cook-out season is upon us, and this macaroni salad is a classic, make ahead, side dish that’s the perfect side kick to a burger or grilled chicken. This is a grandma type of macaroni salad – no fancy ingredients – just pasta, eggs, onions, celery, and mayonnaise. However, for the sake of an aesthetically pleasing photograph – I sprinkled a tiny bit of paprika on top – because I’m rebellious like that.
- 1 lb. box of elbow macaroni
- 1 small white onion, chopped fine
- 1 stalk of celery, diced fine
- 2 eggs, hard boiled
1. First, hard boil the eggs. Place eggs in the bottom of a saucepan, covering the eggs with an inch of water. Bring the water to a rapid simmer, remove from heat, and cover for 12 minutes. Plunge eggs into a bowl of ice water for about 10 minutes, peel, and set aside.
2. Cook macaroni according to the directions on the package. Drain, and run under cold water. Again, drain really well, and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
3. Add onion and celery, grate the eggs on the large holes of a box grater. Add mayonnaise – I didn’t give a specific amount – it’s really a personal preference. Add it and toss, if you feel you need more, add some more. Taste it, and season with a little kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.