Collecting Hall Westinghouse Refrigerator Dishes

HallWestinghouse

Back in the day, when you purchased a Westinghouse refrigerator, they gave away these lovely leftover dishes manufactured by The Hall China Company. When I bought my fridge, I got complimentary plastic ice cube trays –  clearly, times have changed.

The orange dish was from Hall’s Hercules line made from 1940 to 1941. The blue rectangular dish is the ‘Phoenix’ – the earliest (1938) design by Hall for Westinghouse. I love these for their bright colors and clean, Deco style.

HWStamps

This entry was posted in Collecting, News and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Collecting Hall Westinghouse Refrigerator Dishes

1. Cindy in Chicago says:

Well I happen to have a blue butter dish, I guess, want it? Good shape, a bit dusty, got it years ago when I was cleaning out a house.

2. Tina says:

Cindy, thank you for your kind offer – it just so happens that I already own one in blue. Due to space/clutter issues, I’m trying not to collect duplicates – but thanks again!

3. Jane says:

I’m happy I found this entry. Now I know that my blue refrigerator dish is part of the ‘Peasant” line, and exceedingly apropos at that. I wonder, though, perhaps you know, the bottom of the dish is white, with the stamp. Mine has a blue interior, and all else is the same, save for the non-blue, white bottom? I wouldn’t think it a reproduction, but I wonder about the difference.

4. Tina says:

It may be from the Hercules line – similar to the orange dish pictured above. If it has the stamp, I doubt that it’s a reproduction.

5. Daphne Swayze says:

I just bought 2 blue dishes with lids and have searched information to see what they are. The bottom hreads Hall for Westinghouse and the dish is rectangular with a domed rectangular lid. Things online call them loaf dishes, refrigerator dishes or casserile dishes. I am wondering if I can bake a loaf of bread in them or cook a meatloaf or a casserole in them.

6. Tina says:

Hi Daphne –

When I was rooting around for info on Hall-Westinghouse, I saw the same exact thing – photos of identical dishes were referred to as casserole dishes or refrigerator dishes. While I’m not an expert, I would err on the side of caution and NOT put them in the oven.