The recipe for these cookies came from my friend Penny – and it’s a keeper! It has all the ingredients of a great cookie – oatmeal, dried cranberries, orange zest, orange and vanilla extracts. I can’t begin to tell you how great they smell fresh out of the oven or warm with a cup of coffee. Yep, these cookies have definitely earned a permanent spot on my holiday cookie list!
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar*
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 350º. In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, and coconut sugar until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, then vanilla, orange zest, and orange extract.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon together – add to the butter mixture. Stir in the oats and the dried cranberries.
3. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheets and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to let cool completely.
(* I couldn’t find coconut sugar to save my soul, so I substituted 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon coconut extract.)