This has been my go-to recipe for sugar cookies since I was a teen. I think I clipped it out of one of my mom’s magazines and refined it over the years, increasing the amount of vanilla and adding lemon zest. These cookies will figure prominently in my holiday sweet tray!
- 4 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- colored sugar, sprinkles
1. In a medium sized bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla, eggs, and lemon zest. Gradually mix in flour a cupful at a time. Divide dough in thirds, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
3. Preheat oven to 325º. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll out dough to about 1/4″ thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut out cookies and transfer dough 2″ apart on baking sheet. Decorate with colored sugar or sprinkles and bake for 14 to 18 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.