I love a good one pan – no frosting cake, it’s perfect for a busy weekend like the one we just had. It’s moist, with the addition of fresh raspberries, and a sprinkling of confectionery sugar make this cake really special!
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
For the filling:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375º, grease and flour a 9″ inch cake pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt – set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the sugar and butter until well combined. Add the egg and vanilla, mix at medium speed for 1 minute.
- Alternate the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter/sugar until just combined. Set aside.
- For the filling – in a medium bowl beat the cream cheese and sugar, then add the egg and lemon zest.
- Spoon half of the cake batter into the prepared pan, using a spatula, spread batter to the edges of the pan. Pour the filling over the batter – carefully spread it to the edges of the pan. Using a spoon, dollop the remaining batter over the filling.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove pan from oven and gently press raspberries into the cake. Bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes. Test with a toothpick. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, remove cake from the pan.
(From Better Homes & Gardens)