Today is my friend Dan’s birthday – world traveler, photographer, and all around good guy! To celebrate the occasion, I made this fruit tart – it’s the perfect dessert given the bounty of fresh fruit available this time of year. Happy birthday Dan, hope you have a magnificent day!
For the crust:
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 stick of cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
For the filling:
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- fresh fruit – strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mango
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, and butter. Pulse until crumbly, then add the ice water. Flatten dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400º, on a floured surface, roll out dough, and ease into a 9″ tart pan. Prick the bottom with a fork, fill with pie weights (uncooked beans or rice) on parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes. Remove pie weights, prick bottom again with a fork, and bake for another 6 minutes until pale gold. Let cool.
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each addition, until smooth. With a pastry brush, brush a thin layer of chocolate on the bottom of the crust. This helps to keep the crust from getting soggy. Refrigerate for 15 minutes until chocolate hardens.
- Place cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl, combine with an electric mixer until smooth. Spread filling into tart shell, top with fruit. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.