This is the cake I made for Joe’s birthday. It’s a rich chocolate cake with a cream filling, covered with chocolate ganache. This recipe is going into the permanent birthday cake collection – it was delicious!
- 1 – 15.25 box Duncan Hines Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup strong coffee, cooled
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350º, spray 2 – 9″ round pans with baking spray, flour lightly.
- Blend cake mix, eggs, coffee, and butter in a large bowl – beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Divide batter among the cake pans, and bake for 24 to 29 minutes. Test with a toothpick.
- Let cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack, then remove from pans and let cool completely before frosting.
For the cream filling:
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- In a small saucepan, whisk flour and milk, until lumps are removed. Warm over medium heat, whisking constantly until mixture becomes thick, like pudding.
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy – about 3 to 5 minutes. Slowly add in the cooled flour/milk mixture and beat until it becomes like the texture of whipped cream. Set aside.
For the ganache:
- 1 – 12 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a glass bowl, combine the chocolate chips and the heavy whipping cream.
- Microwave for 1 minute, stir until smooth. If chocolate chips are not completely melted, heat for another 15 to 30 seconds – be careful not to over heat.
- Put one of the cake layers on a plate, and spread all of the cream filling on top.
- Place the second layer on top. Pour the ganache over the cake, use an offset spatula to cover the top and the sides of the cake. Allow to set for about 20 minutes.