When the temperature dips below freezing, all a gal can do is hunker down and bake. Since it was Valentine’s Day – I wanted to make something red, like strawberry shortcake. However, none of the vendors on 9th Street had strawberries, so on to Plan B – something cherry, since I had a can of cherry pie filling in my pantry – cherry bars!
For the bars:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 – 21 ounce can cherry pie filling
For the glaze:
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line and 8″ x 8″ pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the butter/sugar mixture.
- Reserve a 1/2 cup of the dough. Press the remaining dough in the bottom of the pan, top with the cherry pie filling. Crumble reserved dough on top in small bits.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack.
- While the bars are cooling, make the glaze. In a small bowl, whisk the confectioners sugar, vanilla, and warm water together, drizzle over the bars. Cut into squares, serves 12.