Try saying THAT fast three times! Bar cookies are great in the summer because you can bake them all in one shot, and they’re sturdier than cookies, so they pack better in a picnic basket or a beach bag – and they’re delicious!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of sweetened coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350º and line a 9″ x 13″ pan with foil.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, mix butter and peanut butter until combined. Add the sugars, beat until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and the eggs.
3. Add the flour mixture in three batches. Stir in the chocolate chips and coconut.
4. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, the center should be set (check with a toothpick). Makes 2 dozen bars.