This bread is amazing! It’s a fine crumb cake with chunks of apples with brown sugar and cinnamon topping. I was thinking it would be a nice thing to serve at breakfast if you had guests at Thankgiving – unless of course you didn’t want them hanging around after Thursday…..
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large apple, peeled and finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Grease and flour a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan.
2. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
3. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and granulated sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla, then the flour and baking powder, and finally – the milk.
4. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan, top with half of the apples. Press apples into the batter with a spoon, sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Repeat step with remaining batter, apples, and sugar cinnamon.
5. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, testing with a toothpick.
But wait, there’s more – you can also make muffins! Finely chop two apples instead of one. In a paper lined muffin pan, put one tablespoon of batter, followed by one tablespoon of chopped apples, one teaspoon of the cinnamon- brown sugar mix, another tablespoon of batter, one tablespoon of apples, and one half teaspoon of cinnamon – brown sugar. Bake at 350º for 15 to 20 minutes. Test with a toothpick. Makes 16.