Traditionally, Valentine’s Day is a chocolate holiday – truffles, Hershey’s Kisses, heart shaped boxes of decadence. I decided to buck the trend and go the vanilla route. These cupcakes are so tender and moist – you won’t miss chocolate at all!
- 1 and 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
2. In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Melt butter, pour into a large bowl, and whisk in the sugar. Add the egg whites, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until well combined.
3. Whisk the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until batter is smooth.
4. Divide batter among 12 cupcake liners and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 vegetable shortening
- 2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring – optional
1. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and shortening until smooth.
2. Gradually add the confectioners sugar until well incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl – the mixture will be thick. Add the milk and vanilla extract, and beat until smooth. Add food coloring if using.