I celebrated a birthday over the weekend with this killer chocolate cake and fudge frosting. This cake definitely helps to ease you into being another year older!
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled
- 1/2 cup whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 350º. In a medium bowl sift flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, and baking powder – set aside. In a small bowl, combine coffee and milk – set aside.
2. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time. Then alternate the flour mixture and the coffee-milk combo in three additions.
3. Pour batter into two 9″ round cake pans that have been greased and floured. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, test with a toothpick. Let cool on a rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
For the frosting:
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- In a large bowl, melt the butter and add the chocolate chips and stir until melted. If they’re not completely melted, return bowl to the microwave for 30 seconds, and stir.
- With an electric mixer, add the sour cream, vanilla extract, then the confectioners sugar one cup at a time – mixing well after each addition.