Not my finest culinary photo, but a delicious dinner you can throw together on the fly using leftover chicken or turkey. Unlike most tamale pies, the cornbread is on the bottom and topped with chicken and cheddar cheese. Serve with a salad and be delighted you’ve discovered another way of using up your Thanksgiving leftovers!
- 1 – 8.5 oz. box Jiffy Cornbread Mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup corn
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded chicken or turkey
- 3/4 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400º. Spray a large ovenproof skillet with cooking spray, In a medium bowl, whisk together corn muffin mix, sour cream, egg, corn, and melted butter. Pour into skillet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, then add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add taco seasoning, chicken, and enchilada sauce, stir until well combined.
- Top cornbread with chicken mixture, sprinkle with cheddar cheese, and bake for 20 minutes.
That’s… odd… We were just talking about tamale pies today at lunch… LOL
We’ll be having a turkey version sometime over the weekend!