Father’s Day is right around the corner, and I thought making homemade shaving cream would be a fun project for the kids in my son’s class. We split up the duties – they measured the ingredients, took turns with the hand mixer, and got utterly carried away with the essential oils! We packed the finished results into plastic tubs, and attached a label I designed using a combination of Photoshop and Illustrator. A gift to pamper Dad – so much better than a weed whacker!
I found this recipe on Shaina Olmanson’s site, it’s more of a thick lotion than Barbasol. This shaving cream moisturizes and smells amazing! Be sure to store it in a cool, dry spot.
- 1/3 cup shea butter
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil (I used Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil)
- 1/4 cup jojoba or sweet almond oil (I used Nature’s Alchemy Sweet Almond Oil)
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil (I used Nature’s Kiss for both of the essential oils)
- 3 – 5 drops rosemary essential oil
Note: I bought the shea butter locally, all of the other ingredients were ordered through Amazon.
1. Place the shea butter and coconut oil in a glass bowl, and microwave in 30 second increments until melted.
2. Add the jojoba or sweet almond oil, and both of the essential oils, and stir.
3. Put back into the refrigerator and chill until they become solid. (We put the bowl in the freezer to speed things up.) Remove from the refrigerator, use a hand mixer and whip until the texture is light and fluffy. Spoon into an 8 oz. container, and store in a cool, dry place.