If I get abducted by aliens and disappear off of the face of the Earth, my lemon bars will be what people miss most about me. I’d like to think it would be my bubbly personality, or my twisted sense of humor – but no, it’s the lemon bars. It’s the reason I get invited places. “We’d love it if you could stop by on Saturday, oh, and if it’s not too much trouble, can you bring some lemon bars?”
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Blend butter, salt, 2 cups flour, and 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar to make a soft dough. Press evenly into a 9″ x 13″ pan. Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
3. While the crust is baking, combine eggs, lemon peel, lemon juice, granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup flour and mix until smooth.
4. Pour over the baked crust, return to oven, and reduce the heat to 325º. Bake for an additional 25 minutes until firm. Let cool, dust with confectioner’s sugar, and cut into bars. Makes 3 dozen.