I made more basil fettuccine last week and stashed it in the freezer for the weekend. Then all I had to do was figure out what I was going to do with it. I decided on a quick San Marzano tomato and crab sauce. San Marzano tomatoes have a thicker flesh, fewer seeds, and are sweeter than ordinary canned plum tomatoes. The combination of crab, tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, and dry white wine in a pan with a relatively short simmer, means you can throw this together in less than 30 minutes – perfect for the weekend!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 – 28 0z. can of San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 8 oz. pasteurized crabmeat
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound fresh or dried fettuccine
- salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the garlic and cook stirring frequently.
2. Add the tomatoes, crushing by hand into the pan, pour in some of the juice. Add crabment and white wine – simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the fettuccine, drain, and add to the saucepan, mix well and season with salt and pepper. Serves four.