It’s apple season, and an apple cake is in order. What I like about this recipe is the simple batter, topped with thinly sliced apples and cinnamon sugar. Slightly warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream – it’s perfection!
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
For the topping:
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350º, grease and flour a 9″ springform pan.
- In a small bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar – add the eggs one at a time until well incorporated, then the vanilla, oil, and milk.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the batter, and beat on medium until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, scatter the apples on top, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, test with a toothpick, and let cool on a wire rack.