This apple cake certainly isn’t much to look at, but in the taste department, it’s Miss Universe! It’s studded with apples with a fine crumb, moist – thanks to the cream cheese, crowned with the perfect amount of brown sugar and cinnamon. It’s my new go-to apple cake!
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350º and grease a 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Peel and chop apples, toss with lemon juice and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat sugar, butter, and cream cheese until smooth, add eggs and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add to butter/cream cheese mixture until combined. Fold in apples.
- Pour into prepared pan, smooth out with rubber spatula.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon – sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, test with a toothpick. Let cool on a wire rack.