Here’s wishing everyone a warm, safe, and happy holiday!
- 2 2/3 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 sticks of very cold butter, cut up into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ice water
Put flour, butter, and salt in a food processor with a metal blade pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add ice water until the dough begins to clump together. Divide into three discs and place in separate plastic bags, and work dough into a flat disc. Refrigerate for an hour. (This recipe make 3 – 9″ pie shells, two for the pie and one for the freezer.)
- 5 ripe pears, peeled, quartered, and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- grated zest of one orange
- 2 tablespoons butter
- egg wash – 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- Put flour, butter, and salt in a food processor with a metal blade pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add ice water until the dough begins to clump together. Form into a ball, place in plastic bag, and work dough into a flat disc. Refrigerate for an hour.
- In a large bowl, combine pears, cranberries, flour, sugar, cinnamon, orange zest, stir to combine.
- Roll out the dough to fit an 9″ pie dish, ease pastry onto plate. Spoon the fruit into the pastry, dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry and cut out long 1/2″ strips. Weave the lattice crust, tuck under the crust and crimp with your fingers or a fork. Lightly brush the dough with egg wash.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400º oven for 15 minutes. Lower the heat to 375º and bake for another 45 minutes until crust is golden.