The strawberries in the market on Saturday were too gorgeous to resist. I bought two quarts – one for eating, and one for dessert. A tart shell, brushed with melted dark chocolate, with a sweetened cream cheese filling, and crowned with sliced strawberries was in order. This tart is so pretty and summery and delicious!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup of confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart of strawberries, sliced
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, butter and vegetable shortening. Pulse until crumbly, then add the ice water. Flatten dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350º, on a floured surface, roll out dough, and ease into a 9″ tart pan. Line the bottom with foil, fill with pie weights and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and pie weights, and bake for an additional 10 minutes until golden. Let cool.
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each addition, until smooth. With a pastry brush, brush a thin layer of chocolate on the bottom of the crust. This helps to keep the crust from getting soggy. Refrigerate for 15 minutes until chocolate hardens.
- Place cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat until smooth. Spread filling onto tart shell, top with strawberries. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.