Summer has arrived, it’s starting to get warm and muggy. I wanted to make a no-bake pie for our holiday cookout, and I enlisted help from Lloyd. This fresh strawberry pie, is chilled, refreshing, and perfection with the addition of a little whipped cream!
For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons shortening, chilled
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
1. Mix flour, salt, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add butter and shortening to the flour mixture, and cut until the mix resembles large peas. Add the ice water and mix with your hands until the dough comes together. Form into a ball, flatten into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
2. Roll out dough to 1/8″ thickness on a well floured surface. Ease dough into pie plate, crimp the edges, and chill for 15 minutes. This will help the dough from shrinking.
3. Preheat oven to 425º, remove dough from fridge, and prick the bottom on the crust with a fork. Line the pie with parchment or foil, and fill with pie weights or beans to hold the crust in place. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the pie weights, and parchment/foil.
4. Lower the temperature to 375º, place crust back in the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Remove and cool completely before filling.
For the filling:
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 – 3 oz. box strawberry gelatin (Jell-O)
- Layer the baked pie shell with strawberries.
- Combine the cornstarch, sugar and water in a pan, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add Jell-O, stirring until dissolved.
- Pour the mixture over strawberries, and refrigerate until set.