Pizza with lots of garlic and spinach fits the bill on Meatless Mondays. If you follow the recipe, you can make an amazing pizza faster than delivery, and save some dough (pardon the pun) while you’re at it!
For the Crust:
- 1 packet of yeast (or 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (plus more for the pan)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced and divided
- 6 oz. baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
1. Stir the yeast and sugar into the warm water, let stand until foamy about 5 to 10 minutes.
2. In a food processor using a metal blade, add flour and salt to the bowl and turn on machine. Slowly add yeast mixture and process for one minute. Add the oil and process for another minute.
3. Roll dough out onto a floured surface into a 15 inch circle. Transfer dough to an oiled baking sheet. Let it rest for 30 minutes to give the dough a chance to rise a little. A speedier technique is to preheat your oven to 200º, place the pan in the oven and turn off the heat, leave it in there for 15 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 425º, place pizza dough on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Meanwhile in a large sauce pan, heat up a tablespoon of olive oil add one minced garlic clove to pan. Stir constantly for one minute, then add spinach, stirring until it wilts. Remove from heat.
5. Brush the preheated shell with 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of olive oil, rub 1 minced garlic clove over the surface. Sprinkle with mozzarella, and top with sautéed spinach, Bake for 15 minutes, let rest for 5 minutes and slice into 8 pieces.