This recipe came to me from my friend Hollis. I call these “summer” crab cakes because the recipe calls for fresh corn. They can be put together in advance and take about 10 minutes to cook. No question about it – they are the best crab cakes ever!
- 1 pound crabmeat*
- 1 cup fresh cooked corn
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cup unsalted saltine crackers, crushed into crumbs
1. Combine the crab, corn, red pepper, celery in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise, dry mustard, and cayenne, add it to the crab mixture.
3. Fold in beaten egg, then add 1/4 cup of the crushed crackers.
4. Form into 8 patties, and roll in remaining cracker crumbs. Chill for an hour.
5. Sautee in butter and a healthy splash of olive oil over medium high heat for 5 minutes on each side. Serves four.
(* A note on the crabmeat – you can use fresh crab for this recipe or refrigerated, canned pasteurized crabmeat – lump, backfin, or claw meat. Do NOT use the canned crab located between the tuna and the sardines in your local supermarket.)