These bars are sort of like my recipe for lemon bars – if my lemon bars were dressed up for a night out on the town. The addition of rolled oats, brown sugar, and sweetened condensed milk, make them especially rich and decadent!
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 – 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 large egg yolks
1. Preheat oven to 350º, grease an 8″ x 8″ baking dish. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the first four ingredients. Add the granulated and brown sugars and mix well.
2. In a small bowl, melt the butter, stir in the vanilla extract, and pour over the flour mixture. With a spoon, stir until mixture is evenly moistened. Spoon half of the mixture into the baking pan, using your hands, press into an even layer, and bake for 15 minutes.
3. While the crust is baking, whisk the sweetened condensed milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and egg yolks together. When crust is done baking, remove from oven, and pour the lemon mixture on top – smooth with a spatula. Take remaining crumb mixture, sprinkle on top, return to oven, and bake for another 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack, and refrigerate for an hour before slicing into bars.