Sunday morning I was in a muffin making mood. I had a bunch of overripe bananas on the kitchen table begging to be banana walnut muffins. But I also had blueberries in the fridge – which meant the first blueberry muffins of the season were a definite possibility too. So I combined them, and added a glaze for fun!
- 4 overripe bananas (medium to large)
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 375º. In a medium bowl, mash the bananas and add 1/4 cup of water, mix well and set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, vegetable oil, granulated sugar, eggs, and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. With an electric mixer on medium speed, mix until smooth. Add the bananas and mix again. Fold in the blueberries.
3. Line muffin tins with 18 baking cups, fill with about 2 heaping tablespoons of batter. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, test with a toothpick. Let cool on a wire rack.
4. Make the glaze, in a small bowl combine confectioners sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Pour into a ziplock bag, snip a small corner off and squeeze glaze over the muffins.