I love bars because they’re portable – they pack into a ziplock bag and you can just toss them into a lunch box. No plastic container or fork needed. Apple crumb pie is a nice way to start your week!
- The Crust:
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- Apple Filling:
- 3 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Crumb Topping:
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into small cubes
1. Preheat oven to 300º, and line an 8″ baking pan with foil.
2. In a medium bowl, stir melted butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt together. Add the flour and mix until combined. Press the dough into pan and bake for 15 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine the apples, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg – mix well and set aside.
4. Remove crust from oven, increase oven temperature to 350º. Spread apple slices on top of crust, pressing down to fit. Sprinkle crumb topping over apples and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until crumb topping is golden brown.
5. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes, then chill in the refrigerator for several hours. Cut into bars.