Cheese straws are the perfect nibbly thing for your guests to snack on before Thanksgiving dinner. Cayenne pepper gives them just the right amount of heat, which pairs well with a glass of wine or a cold beer. A small side dish of buttery Castelvetrano olives may not be a bad idea either.
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Sift the flour, salt, dry mustard, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl – set aside.
- Put the butter and cheddar cheese in a large bowl and mix until well blended.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter and cheese, then add the water and mix for 1 minute.
- Knead the dough a few times, and roll out 1/4 inch thick. Cut 1/4 inch strips that are 4 to 6 inches in length. Place on a parchment lined baking tray and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden. Cool and store in an air tight container. Makes 3 to 4 dozen pieces.
Make plenty – because they won’t last!