Galette, another word for “lazy man’s pie!” I had the dough stocked in the freezer, so the most taxing thing was peeling and slicing the apples. An hour in the oven, and we had a magnificent dessert to usher in fall!
- For the crust:
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup ice water
1. In the bowl of a food processor combine flour, salt, and butter. Pulse until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add ice water until dough begins to clump. Form into a disk by hand, wrap in plastic and refrigerate dough for at least an hour.
2. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 13″ round. Transfer dough to a parchment lined baking sheet.
For the filling:
- 5 honey crisp apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg whisked with 1 tablespoon water
- granulated sugar for crust
- Preheat oven to 400º. In a large bowl, toss sliced apples, light brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and lemon zest until combined.
- Scoop apples into the center of prepared dough, dot with butter, fold up 2″ of the dough to cover the fruit.
- Brush the crust with egg wash, and sprinkle with granulated sugar, loosely cover with foil. Bake at 400º for 30 minutes, reduce heat to 350º and continue to bake for another 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.