I wanted to make something different to go with the chicken piccata I was making for dinner, and this baked pasta fits the bill. Pasta, sautéed broccoli rabe, and two cheeses baked in a cast iron pan, and cut into wedges like a pie, it’s all kinds of yum!
- 1 pound penne or ziti
- 1 bunch of broccoli rabe
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzerella
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pot of salted water, cook pasta according to the directions on the package, drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- Trim 3″ off the bottom of the broccoli rabe. Cut the remains in thirds, and wash well. In a medium sized pot, cook in salted, boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain well, squeezing out as much water as possible.
- Preheat oven to 425º. In a 10″ oven proof skillet, heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add the garlic, then the broccoli rabe – sauté for 5 minutes, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs with crushed red pepper, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese. Add the pasta and broccoli rabe, stir to combine.
- Wipe out the skillet, and add remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, tilting pan to cover the bottom and sides with oil. Pour pasta/broccoli rabe mixture in the pan, cook over medium heat for 5 minutes then transfer to hot oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
Interesting, I would never have thought of that… 🙂
Trying to get myself out of cooking rut!