This Italian Pear Cake would be a light ending to a decadent meal, or incentive to roll out of bed in the morning for a slice and a cup of hot coffee. I’m a big fan of one pan, no frosting, fruit studded cakes, and this one does not disappoint!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/ cup + 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar + 2 tablespoons divided
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese – room temperature*
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pears, peeled – one chopped, one sliced
* If you can’t find mascarpone in your local market, you can substitute 1/2 cup ricotta and 1/2 cup cream cheese – both room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 340º, grease and flour a 9″ cake pan, set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and eggs until creamy, then add vanilla and mascarpone. Mix in dry ingredients, then add vegetable oil. Fold in chopped pears.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Arrange slices of pears on top, and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, test with a toothpick.