It rained all weekend, perfect weather to stay in, bake, and watch old movies. I had a bag of Granny Smith apples on hand – what I love about this recipe is that it’s heavy on the apples – you’re guaranteed a chunk of apple in every bite!
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 325º line two muffin pans with liners. In a mixing bowl, beat both sugars and oil until very well-blended. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
2. Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and gradually add to the sugar and eggs, mixing just until well-blended. Stir in the apples, and vanilla and divide among the muffin cups.
3. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, testing with a toothpick. Let cool on a wire rack. Makes 24.