My favorite kind of cake, one layer, no frosting, and a little fruit. Quick to mix up, not too long to bake, and delicious!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup + 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- zest of half a lemon
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- 1 cup raspberries
- Grease a 9″ cake pan with baking spray and line with parchment paper, set aside. Preheat oven to 400º.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. In a large bowl, cream butter, 2/3 cup of sugar, and lemon zest together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Pour into prepared pan, smoothing the top of the batter. Scatter the raspberries on top of batter, and sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown, testing with a toothpick. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, turn out and let cool on a wire rack.
* To make your own buttermilk, stir 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar into 1/2 cup of milk. Remove a 1/2 tablespoon of the mixture. Let sit for 10 minutes.