Last week was brutal – the heat index on Friday was 110º, needless to say – the boy and I spent a lot of time at the pool. When it’s that hot, the last thing I want is to be anywhere near a stove or eat hot food. I would serve popsicles for dinner, but I’m pretty sure I’d be downvoted. That’s where chicken salad comes into play – make it in the morning, come home from the pool and eat it in your bathing suit. Then it’s back to the pool until they kick us out!
- 4 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 – 8 oz. can water chestnuts, chopped
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- salt and pepper
1. Toss chicken, celery, water chestnuts, apple and red onion in a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl whisk mayonnaise, cider vinegar, sugar, and salt and pepper – add to chicken mixture. Serve with chilled vegetables, on bread, or with mixed greens.