I confess – I buy way too many bananas. Sometimes my son remedies that by eating three in a sitting when he comes home from school. But there are times when the bananas linger in the fruit bowl a bit too long and no one wants to eat them – so I make muffins. Originally this recipe was my mom’s famous banana bread, but I converted it into muffins for packing lunchboxes. They’re moist and delicious, perfect for a snack or breakfast on the run!
- 4 overripe bananas (medium to large)
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup choppd walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 375º. In a medium bowl, mash the bananas and add 1/4 cup of water, mix well and set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, vegetable oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. With an electric mixer on medium speed, mix until smooth. Add the bananas and mix again. Fold in the walnuts.
3. Line muffin tins with 16 baking cups, fill about halfway with batter. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, test with a toothpick.