Brookies are a combination of brownies and chocolate chip cookies. I’ve been making these for years in a pan – they are the belle of the ball at bakes sales. Recently, my friend Don posted a version baked in a muffin tin on his Facebook page – which I thought was genius! I made a batch for school to test out how they would tranlate from bars to individual servings – it was a success!
- 1 box brownie mix
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 – 12 oz. bag chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350º. In a bowl, prepare the brownie batter according to the directions on the box, set aside.
2. In a small bowl add flour, salt, and baking soda – stir to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, cream butter, and both sugars until light and fluffy with an electric mixer. Add in the vanilla extract and the eggs. Pour in the flour and mix until well incorporated, then stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Line 2 muffins tins with paper liners. Using a small ice cream scoop (approximately 1 tablespoon), fill the bottoms of the liners with the brownie mix. Then do the same with the cookie dough. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, testing for doneness with a toothpick. Makes 2 dozen.
5. Note: You will have leftover cookie dough, but that’s okay! Turn the oven up to 375º. Drop by rounded tablespoon 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet, and bake for 9 to 11 minutes, until golden brown.