Yesterday was a snow day, so I had an assistant in the kitchen. Whereas I whack an egg with one hand on the side of a bowl, my son gingerly taps the eggs four or five times to open them up. I guess we all have our own style of working. At the end of the day, we made 105 cupcakes – including these classic vanilla cupcakes with a chocolate cream cheese frosting. It was nice to have his company in the kitchen!
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
2. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar, and add the eggs, one at a time.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, sour cream, and vanilla.
4. Add half the flour mixture, the milk/sour cream/flour/sour cream in batches – mixing well after each addition. Fill 16 cupcake papers 2/3 full and bake for 16 to 20 minutes. Test with a toothpick and let cool on a rack.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
2. In a separate bowl, sift confectioner’s sugar and cocoa powder together. Add it one cup at a time to the cream cheese/butter mixture, beat until smooth. Add vanilla.
Note: If the frosting seems a bit too stiff, add a tablespoon or two of milk until you have reached desired consistency.
And you didn’t even share… drool…
Sorry, all sold out! 😉