It’s truly spring when the trees are budding, and I find rhubarb on 9th Street. The man I bought it from asked if I were making a pie, when I confirmed that I was – he suggested adding a tiny bit of allspice to the filling. I did, and it was delicious!
For the pastry:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 stick of butter, frozen and cut into pieces
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ice water
1. Place flour, butter, salt, and sugar into the bowl of a food processor and pulse to incorporate the butter until it’s pea sized.
2. Slowly add the ice water down the feed tube 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together. You don’t want the dough to be sticky, so be careful about adding too much water.
3. Flatten dough into a disk, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
For the filling:
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 cups rhubarb, sliced into 1/4″ pieces
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
1. Preheat oven to 375º. Roll out the dough to 1/8″ thickness, and ease into a 9″ tart pan, and trim off the excess dough.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, flour, salt, allspice, lemon juice, and vanilla.
3. Roll out remaining scraps of dough, and cut thin strips for the lattice. Cut butter into small pieces and scatter on top of tart. Bake for an hour, until fruit is bubbling, and crust is golden brown.