Three cheers for the red, white, and blue! Since it’s the 4th – I made my favorite fruit tart from The Frog Commissary Cookbook. A light crust, brushed with melted chocolate, filled with a sweetened cream cheese, and topped with fresh fruit.
For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1. Pulse all ingredients in a Cuisinart until crumbs form.
2. Roll out dough to an 1/8″ thickness. Transfer dough to a 9 inch tart pan. Press dough evenly on the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
3. Prick crust with a fork. Bake at 350º for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden. Let cool.
For the chocolate:
- 3 ounces of chocolate chips
- 1/2 tablespoon shortening
1. Microwave the chocolate chips and the shortening in 30 second increments, mixing after each addition until chocolate is melted.
2. Brush a thin amount of chocolate on the bottom of tart shell – too thick and it will be impossible to cut. Refrigerate until the chocolate firms up.
For the cream cheese filling:
- 1 eight ounce bar of cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine all ingredients with a hand mixer or a food processor until well blended. Spread over tart shell.
- 2 cups strawberries, slices
- 1 pint blueberries
1. Arrange fruit on tart and enjoy!