I’ve never been a big fan of pumpkin pie, so Buttermilk Pie is my alternative. It’s a custardy kind of pie without the pumpkin. Does that make sense? Probably not, but if you’re coming over for dinner on Thursday and can’t live without pumpkin pie – you may want to bring one with you. That said, when you get here, you’ll probably have a slice of my Buttermilk Pie – just to be polite!
- 1 – 9″ pie crust
- 3 eggs
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Roll out pie crust, place in pan, and crimp edges.
2. In a bowl, add eggs, sugar, buttermilk, butter, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon rind, vinegar, and salt, mix until well combined and pour into pie shell.
3. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until set. Let cool before slicing, store in the refrigerator.