It’s September, and I couldn’t resist squeezing one more fruit pie on here before we bid summer adieu. The temperatures were in the 90s last week – it certainly didn’t feel like fall. However, the berries and peaches in the market are still glorious, and now that swimsuit season is officially over, it’s time to indulge!
- 1 1/3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 stick of very cold butter, cut up into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ice water
- The filling:
- 3 cups strawberries, sliced
- 2 large peaches, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 pint blueberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- course sugar
- Place flour, butter, and salt in a food processor with a metal blade pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add ice water until the dough begins to clump together. Form into a ball, place in plastic bag, and work dough into a flat disc. Refrigerate for an hour.
2. In a large bowl, toss sliced strawberries with the sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla.
3. Roll out two thirds of the dough to fit an 8″ pie dish, ease pastry onto plate. Scoop the fruit into the pastry, dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry and cut out long 1/2″ strips. Weave the lattice crust, tuck under the crust and crimp.
4. Place pie on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 425º oven for 15 minutes. Lower the heat to 375º and bake for another 30 to 35 minutes until crust is golden.