It was a pretty laid back weekend – a trip to the market, the fellas went to the movies, and a cook out was in the works for Monday. The cook out looked iffy, the sun was a no show and there was light rain in the morning. No matter, there was a lovely galette with cherries, blackberries, and blueberries. Worst case scenario – the marinated chicken would go in the oven. Fortunately, by the time dinner rolled around, the rain held off and we were able to fire up the grill – all is well in South Philly!
For the Crust:
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup ice water
For the filling:
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 3 cups cherries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
1. In the bowl of a food processor combine flour, salt, and butter. Pulse until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add ice water until dough begins to clump. Form into a disk by hand, wrap in plastic and refrigerate dough for an hour.
2. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 13″ round. Transfer dough to a parchment lined baking sheet.
3. In a large bowl, toss berries and cherries with sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla extract.
4. Scoop fruit in the center of rolled out dough, leaving a 2″ border. Fold the dough over the fruit and pleat the edges as you work your way around. cut the tablespoon of butter into small pieces, and place on the fruit. Put the tart in the freezer for 20 minutes – this will help it keep it’s shape.
5. Preheat oven to 425º. Remove galette from freezer, place in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350º, and bake for an additional 40 to 45 minutes.
should that 1tbspn butter in fruit be 1tbspn cornstarch?
Sorry Chip, that should have been 2 tablespoons cornstarch, and there is 1 tablespoon of butter to go on top of the fruit. Thanks for catching that!
No problem I guessed and did 1 tbspn cornstarch. This is a great recipe! Will try your other galette recipes too, so much easier than pies!