It’s that time of year again, when I’m lucky enough to find rhubarb on 9th Street, and all is right with the world. This is my favorite pie!
- 1 1/3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 stick of very cold butter, cut up into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 cups sliced rhubarb
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk
- Put flour, butter, and salt in a food processor with a metal blade pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add ice water until the dough begins to clump together. Form into a ball, place in plastic bag, and work dough into a flat disc. Refrigerate for an hour.
- In a large bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugars, cornstarch, salt, lemon juice, and vanilla – toss gently to mix.
- Roll out two thirds of the dough to fit an 9″ pie dish, ease pastry onto plate. Spoon the fruit into the pastry, dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry and cut out long 1/2″ strips. Weave the lattice crust, tuck under the crust and crimp with your fingers or a fork. Lightly brush the dough with egg wash.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400º oven for 20 minutes. Lower the heat to 350º and bake for another 35 to 40 minutes until crust is golden.